Sunday, October 16, 2011

Catepillar Skirt!

So for my Birthday my mom sent me some super cute material. Thanks mom! There are several different cute ones but there was this one catepillar pritnt that I loved and I just did not know what to do with then one day it just clicked. It took me a while to get it going but I finally did it.
The white part of the material was see through so I had to back it and I saw this super cute stripe material that was on sale so I grabbed it and I had all the scraps of material. I got to work. I cut the green part out like I would any regular skirt I am making for Gracie except I did not make it as wide as I normally do. I wanted it to be more straight. I also made it a little longer than I do most spring/summer skirts because summer is well lets just say it its over. I want her to be able to wear it next year. Then I figured out how tall I wanted the catepillar to be.
It was a very technical process.
This is what the catepillar looks like up close I wanted the catepillar that I was making to look similar to this. So I cut our my circles then I used the steam a seam stuff and had it attached to the material. I then sewed them down.
They looked like this. I then added the printed material that I had measure out and cut earlier. I cut it the same width just shorter than the green. I believe it was about 4 inches shorter. I then sewed up the top like you do on any skirt a small hem then the bigger so that the elastic can go in. I hemed both the top and bottom pieces and I was almost finished. Remember I wanted it to look like the catepillar on the material. So...
...At this point I used a fine point permanent marker. I put a Magazine (it may or may not have been the hubbys magazine) in between the front and the back so the marker would not bleed through. All that was left was to put it on my little beauty.
She loves it!
                         I love that she knows she has to turn around so I can take a pic of the back.
                                                            A close up of the front.
Another close up of the front. She wears this skirt about every 2 or 3 days. She does change about 10 times a day. It drives me crazy that she changes so much but it makes her happy :)
My sister in law pinned this today
She saw it on etsy from This seller. I like it but I dont want the polka dots So I think I will have to make one to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment